Van Persie – We lost 8-2 but the Arsenal away fans were great!

The Arsenal striker (and new captain) Robin Van Persie led his side to their biggest defeat for over 100 years, but was very happy that the away fans stayed and cheered the team right to the end.

“We need to come back,” he said. “We have Swansea in two weeks, which is a good opponent and I look forward to that.

“This was the strongest team we had today. We gave our maximum but it was clearly not good enough.

“I don’t think we can hide behind injuries or suspensions. It is no excuse. They had injuries too, this is football.”

“The fans were great, that is one really positive thing. They were cheering us up all game for 90 minutes. We really appreciate that.

“Sometimes you see fans leaving early but I did not see that. When we went to the fans to thank them after the game, it looked like every seat was still full.

“That was a good feeling. I love that. It really cheered us up.”

The only thing that Van Persie couldnĀ“t see was the herds of Manchester police who kept the fans corralled in the stands until all the home fans had left the area! But it cheered him up anyway……