Ajax:“Vertonghen is leaving and Wenger knows that”

According to the “Daily Star” Jan Vertonghen could leave Ajax Amsterdam and join Arsenal in the winter. The Belgian, who began his career as a midfielder but mostly plays as centre-back now for his club, was followed by Arsene Wenger in the summer for a possible move. Despite the interest Arsenal had, Ajax wanted to spice up their chances to get through the Champions League group stage so the transfer didn’t get through.

Vertonghen’s also a Belgium international with over 32 appearances and 2 goals for his national team. He is usually played as a midfielder with predominant defensive tasks for the national team due to the large number of quality defenders the team has.

“The fact Thomas and Jan are friends isn’t lost on Wenger. Maybe a right word will make the difference for Arsenal.”, said an Ajax source

“We know he’s leaving but not when – maybe in January.”

The tricky part is that nobody knows what Wenger wants to do with the lad. The Belgian does a terrific job in the Dutch league playing as a central defender standing at 1.89 meters tall, but also does an equally good job when playing for Belgium as a midfielder.

If Wenger wants to play the 24 year-old in the midfield, I think it’s an excellent idea. If he wants to transfer him as a central defender than I think that Koscielny, Djourou and Miquel, especially the Spaniard who is still very young, deserve the chance to get in the first team from time to time. Vertonghen could be of great assistance for Alex Song taking Ramsey’s spot, so I think it’s a good idea to follow this lead. What do you guys think about Jan?