Arsenal-target edges closer to exit

Tottenham’s top midfielder Rafael Van der Vaart has been recently linked with a move to Arsenal, and now it seems he might leave the club in the January transfer window.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp yesterday said that he is not able to promise the midfielder a first team spot within the club. Van der Vaart had an excellent start of the season, but that doesn’t seem enough for Redknapp who doesn’t seem satisfied that one of his players has basically refused to play out of position.

‘Rafa is a terrific footballer. He has great skill. But if you’re in the team and asked to do a job, really, you should just do it,’ Harry said.

‘Rafa can’t run back and chase the full-back. Against the better teams it is a problem.

‘His best position is in the middle, playing just behind the front man, but the only problem is that Jermain Defoe plays there too and Jermain is playing very, very well at the moment.

‘So, I guess I have got a decision to make, haven’t I? I suppose it’s now between Rafa and Jermain over who plays in the team.’

If Redknapp will start to sideline Van der Vaart on a regular basis the Dutch international will surely try to exit the club. If he does, his trip might not be such a long one with Arsenal being very interested in the Dutch midfielder after Wilshere became unavailable.