Wenger – It’s Chamakh or Van Persie at the moment. What about Park?

Arsene Wenger spoke after the game against Stoke about the way right-back Djourou and striker Marouane Chamakh played in the game. The defender had to cover a position which is less familiar to him after the injuries of Sagna and Jenkinson, and Chamakh had to play upfront because Dutch striker Robin Van Persie was rested.

“Permanently I don’t know [if he has made a case to play there] but Djourou had a very good game today. What was good today was that we were tall at the back.”, said Wenger about Djourou

“We had Djourou, Mertesacker, Koscielny and Santos in the back four. When you face Stoke that is an interesting quality.”

“I think Chamakh worked very hard. He is running after a goal at the moment. I felt there were two or three occasions in the first half where he was nearly there on crosses and just didn’t get in front of Shawcross.”

“I am pleased with his effort. I think he knows in his mind that at the moment Van Persie is untouchable. Because we play with two wingers it is very difficult to play with two strikers because you are too open in the middle of the park. So unless I change the system it will be him or Van Persie. It is difficult. But he will get confidence by playing games and scoring goals like all strikers.”

Chamakh’s task is a virtually impossible one. The striker must come off the bench usually very late in the game and prove his worth to Arsene Wenger taking into consideration Van Persie’s form. The Dutch came as a substitute against Stoke and only needed 15 minutes to score two goals and decide the match, so I can’t really see Chamakh topping that. The only question that remains is what about Park? Why did Wenger transfer him if he knew he was going to play with two wingers and one striker the way he has been doing for some time now? And why didn’t the Korean player at least get a debut match in the Premier league?