Abidal is closer to the EPL than Barcelona

Barcelona’s left-back Eric Abidal is having difficulties in signing a new contract with the club, and according to his agent David Venditelli the player will be looking elsewhere if necessary. If he will not agree with Barcelona on a contract extension the most probable destination for Abidal is the Premier League where Arsenal and Manchester United want him

‘We want a permanent contract without variables. Not because of economic issues but more to show recognition and confidence in Abidal,’ the agent told COM Radio.

‘Although they have behaved exceptionally with us, we are entitled to have our desires on the new contract.’

‘We have a very good relationship with the club, but we have not yet found the solution. It is true that as time passes, the risk increases of Abidal leaving Barcelona.’

Arsenal could use the services of such a complete defender. Abidal is used to play both on the left side and in the center, and such skill would definitely find its place in Wenger’s squad. Currently Arsenal is playing with Santos on the left and with Mertesacker and Vermaelen in the center, and to be truthful Abidal could replace any of them but Vermaelen.