Ajax Want A Bigger Fee For Arsenal Full-back Target VDW

Ajax’s Dutch full-back Gregory Van der Wiel who managed to attract the interest of Arsenal, Chelsea and Valencia is non transferable according to the club’s official website.

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger wanted to transfer the full-back to have a suitable replacement for his long list of absentees.

“Ajax has business as well as sporting considerations to take into account, but in the case of Gregory it is clear that in the winter he is not likely to go,” Blind told Ajax’s official website.

“Coach Frank de Boer and his staff discuss will discuss this matter. We will talk to the player himself, or his agent, to find out what he wants.

“Gregory is important to this team. If Valencia or any other club want to sign him in the summer then, of course, if the price is right then it will be considered.”

“The bid Valencia offered was too low and, in our view, showed little respect for Gregory especially given his track record and enormous potential,” Blind said.

“Despite still only being 23 he has become an important part of the Ajax team and is a fixture with the Holland team that reached last year’s World Cup final.

“Ideally he will remain and enjoy more good times as is possible with a player who has grown up at a club and progresses to do well in the first team.”

“We know that if a club a player likes wants to pay the money he wants then it is likely he will leave,” Blind added.

“I currently cannot say whether that will happen with Gregory. We hope not.”

Arsenal could still look elsewhere with January still far away, but this can also be interpreted as an attempt to get a bigger transfer fee for the defender. When only Valencia were interested in the Dutch Ajax were willing to sell, but now with Arsenal and Chelsea on the wire he’s not available anymore, so a bigger fee could probably convince the Amsterdam club.