Arsenal Lead Chelsea In Race For Ivorian Defensive Midfielder

Newcastle’s manager Alan Pardew Responded to rumours which were linking the two London teams Chelsea and Arsenal with a possible move on Ivorian defensive midfielder Cheik Tiote.

The manager doesn’t reject the possibility of signing Tiote, but warns those who are interested in the defensive midfielder that he won’t go for a small price.

‘You never know with the window — it’s such a minefield of possibilities. I think I’ve learned from the Andy Carroll situation and outside of Manchester City, every club has a player that is vulnerable.”, said Pardew

‘We have one or two players here that top clubs, I’m sure, would be interested in.

‘The one thing I would say is that they will have to pay a lot of money to take anyone out of here because we’re in a good position — not just on the playing side but financially.

‘Cheik is a big target because he’s a great player and great players will be targeted.

‘We value him very highly here and I think, on my part, I expect him to stay.

‘But that does not mean to say something might not come out of the fire.

‘If he did go, it would have to be for a silly price.’

Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger is looking to bring another defensive midfielder at the club because Frimpong or Coquelin are not ready yet to play at such a high level on a weekly basis, and Song needs a worthy replacement.