AJax Ready To Sell Vertonghen To Arsenal

Arsenal’s interest for Ajax’s defensive player Jan Vertonghen has been well heard by the Netherlands club who are already looking for a worthy replacement. Formal club captain Cristian Chivu might be brought back from Internationale Milano where the 31-year-old grew frustrated with the club’s poor performances.

“Chivu is definitely an option in January (should Vertonghen) depart,” De Boer told Voetbal Primeur.

“We must wait and see whether it is feasible but Cristian has always been very interested in Ajax.”

Vertonghen’s teammate Theo Janssen confirmed that the defensive midfielder who can also play as a left-back and a centre-back is close to a move.

“I hope he stays here,” he told NUSport. “But I can imagine that after this season he will be going to do something else.

“He is a player who can play at a much higher level.”

Arsenal could use a player who can play on so many defensive positions as Vertonghen can, and it would be a shame for Arsene Wenger not to go through with the offer for him.