Arsenal Lose Fight For Star Full-back

Arsene Wenger will have to search high and wide for a full-back who is good enough because he just lost the race for one of the most wanted full-backs in Europe.

Ajax’s right-back Gregory Van der Wiel is very close to accepting a deal with Spanish giants Valencia after snubbing offers from Premiership grates like Chelsea and Arsenal.

“The clubs are still negotiating, but I expect them to reach an agreement,” Van der Wiel told Eredivisie Live.

“I have already spoken with Valencia and have agreed terms. If everything goes according to plan, I will sign a five-year deal.”

Arsene Wenger needs to transfer at least one full-back who can take over until Arsenal’s will come back from injury. Arsene has to count on Gibbs and Jenkinson to cover for him, but at the moment neither are quite ready to play and still have to shrug off injuries.

The two first choice full-backs Sagna and Santos will have to endure a lengthy injury spell and will be out of the game for at least 3 more months. Although Wenger found a way to play with 4 centre-backs that’s not a good approach and Arsenal paid for that against Manchester City.