Arsenal injuries may be a blessing in disguise

Like all Arsenal supporters out there, I was impressed by the suitably competent defensive performance by the team against Manchester City last Sunday. In what was hyped to be the toughest match of the season, the backline stayed reasonably tight and the solitary goal conceded was testament to that.

Naturally, we all would have felt absolutely gutted with the news that Djourou would be crocked for three weeks, while Gibbs would be out for a longer time than anticipated.

But really, with the winter transfer window looming, the injuries might actually be a blessing in disguise. Even Arsene Wenger himself explicitly mentioned his interest in making moves in January:
“It (the transfer market) is not a shop … you just take a good opportunity that is on the market when you can. Overall, that is what we are doing at the moment. We are starting to look at players if Gibbs is not back.”

With the team gearing up for a genuine challenge for a top-four finish, it is going to take more than a makeshift defence with four centre halves playing across the back to secure results. With Santos, Gibbs, Sagna and Jenkinson all out of action, it would be ridiculous to not sign at least a makeshift replacement.

Rumours have it that Wayne Bridge is in contention for a loan move to the mighty Arsenal, and while that name might put off more than just a few Arsenal fans, it is needless to say that he would be a competent option at left-back and a player than Arsenal could really use right now.