Aaron Ramsey – I was tired but expect me to improve in 2012

The young Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey has fully recovered from last year’s broken ankle and has been given an extensive run in the Gunners first team this year, probably thanks to Jack Wilshere’s ongoing injury problems.

He has put in some excellent performances but has also looked less-than-inspiring at times this season, but Arsene Wenger has persevered with the Wales captain when others were calling for him to be dropped or at least rested occasionally.

But Ramsey himself is more than pleased with the progress he has made this season, and is hoping that Arsenal fans will see him improve some more in the coming year.

“I’m happy with what I’ve achieved so far, and especially with the way things are going for me personally this season, but hopefully there’s a lot more to come,” Ramsey said.

“What happened with my injury is behind me now, and I’m just really glad to be back playing for Arsenal regularly. Before my injury I was just starting to do that, so it’s just nice to be out there every week again.

“I still have plenty of things to learn, but with any luck I’ll be able to bring more to the team in 2012.

“Against Aston Villa I looked a bit fatigued and was disappointed with how I performed, but then I’ve played a lot of games this season and sometimes it catches up with you. I think it was the right decision to rest me for the Wolves game, because I did feel a bit tired, so hopefully a rest has done me good.”

With Rosicky and Benayoun both challenging for a starting place right now, and the forecast return of Jack Wilshere next month, perhaps Ramsey may find he is being rested a little more often in the second half of this season.

But he is still young and he will surely become a mainstay of the Arsenal midfield in the future.