Ajax Ready To Let Vertonghen Go If Arsenal Want Him

Ajax’s manager Frank de Boer is already worried about the prospect of losing club defensive man Jan Vertonghen.

The Belgian star has been linked with many Premiership clubs with Arsenal and Manchester United through the favorites, but the Gunners are looking to be favorites of snatching the young star.

With his contract soon reaching its end Vertonghen will have to take a decision soon, and he’s expected to favor a move. The defensive man has told reporters that he would like a move away from the club, but he also declared that he wants to wait until the summer.

“We know that his contract expires in 2013,”de Boer told Eredivisie Live.

“So it’s either renew or relocate to a good foreign club, where Ajax would also benefit from a transfer fee.

“We already told Jan last year in Turkey that we are keen to hold on to him. We will open talks early in March to discuss a new deal.”

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger could do with a player like Vertonghen who can cover with skill quite a few spots throughout the defensive side of the team.

With Belgium not qualified in the summer at the Euro 2012 and with Ajax not qualified for the Champions League knockout stage, Arsenal might get a great price for him if they’ll decide to go for him in the summer.