Barcelona Snub Arsenal Striker Rumours

Barcelona’s Josep Maria Bartomeu has snubbed the possibility of going for Arsenal’s star striker Robin Van Persie with a bid even though the newspapers have been booming with all sorts of links between the Dutchman and the Catalan club.

“Nothing exists with RVP,” explained Bartomeu after Saturday’s 2-1 win over Real Sociedad.

“It’s rumours that appear in the papers. We’ve not contacted Arsenal, nor his agent.

“Our focus is now on the Liga and Copa del Rey.

“It’s necessary to be focused on the task at hand and not be distracted by the transfer market.”

Robin has also been highly linked with a possible move to Spanish rivals Real Madrid in the summer when Higuain might leave Spain’s capital with UK’s capital in mind where Chelsea’s manager Andres Villas-Boas has expressed his interest in him.

The rumours which crowd newspapers these days linking Robin to a possible leave are due to the Dutchman’s expiring contract. His deal with the Gunners will end in the summer of 2013 and it’s well known that players who are out of contract are sold one year early so the clubs can cash in a bit more.