Is Gervinho suffering from a confidence crisis?

For me, Gervinho has been something of an enigma since he joined Arsenal from Lille. The winger/striker has certainly helped to dull the blow of losing Na$ri with his terrific wing play, though he has shown some hesitancy and, perhaps, nervousness in front of goal which have led to his goals tally being sub-standard.

I believe that his lack of goals for Arsenal stems from a basic nervousness and lack of confidence in front of goal. Evidence for this lies in his penalty in the ACN. To those who don’t know, the ACN final went down to sudden death penalties and it was Gervinho’s missed penalty that led to Zambia taking the trophy. Quite apart from the fact that he missed, the fact that he was the NINTH choice for taking a penalty shows that something is wrong. As a striker, he should have been one of the first to take a penalty but, instead, even the centre backs were taking penalties first. This shows that the Ivory Coast manager clearly knows something must be wrong with Gervinho’s confidence.

When he returns, all of our players must help him to get through this difficult period. The manager too, must have a quiet word with him to instil some confidence. Even the fans can help, by singing his name louder than normal. The best cure, however, is to simply hit the back of the net. After a few goals, the ACN debacle will be far in Gervinho’s past and maybe, just maybe, we will see the Gervinho that lit up the French Ligue 1 last year.

***Ivory Coast v Zambia Penalty Shoot-out (video)***