Arsenal won’t sell Van Persie as Barcelona refuse to pay inflated prices

It is being reported in various publications this morning that Arsenal will not sell their captain Robin Van Persie this summer, even if he refuses to sign a new contract.

Because of his age and having only a year left on his present deal, Arsenal are unlikely to command more than around 20 million for the prolific Dutchman so the Gunners are prepared to risk losing Van Persie on a free transfer next season.

The rumours are saying that Arsenal will offer Van Persie a new contract worth 100,000 a week (plus a generous signing on fee) but will also tell him that if he doesn’t sign then the club will refuse to listen to any offers in the summer.

It is well-known that Van Persie would like to play for Barcelona if he leaves the Emirates, but the Barca vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu said yesterday that the club would not pay any inflated prices if they decided to bring in Van Persie or Gareth Bale in the summer: “Those players are very good, but we always need common sense in any negotiations.” he said.

“We will not enter the madness market but it is impossible for Barcelona to pay 40 or 50 million Euros for any player.

“This is a decision of the club. We can’t fight against every club. But we have an advantage in that players want to come and play for Barcelona.”

Barcelona and Cesc Fabregas forced Arsenal to accept a reduced fee for the Spanish international last season, and Wenger will be determined that the Gunners don’t come second best in any more negotiations in the future.