Arteta models himself on Barcelona’s Xavi

Arsenal’s center midfielder Mikel Arteta admitted the fact that his biggest dream still remains trying on the national squad jersey and make his first appearance for the senior squad despite the fact he’s already 29.

Arteta was a very important part of every youth Spanish national squad starting with the U16’s and going up to the U21’s, but his move away from Barcelona also took him away from the eyes of the senior team managers and so he never really got the chance to play for Spain.

“My ambition is to win as many trophies as I can and to have the chance of playing for the national team one day,”

“I have always been a big fan of Xavi,” added Arteta.

“I played and trained with him when I was young. For me consistency is a big thing and he gets rated either eight out of 10 or nine out of 10 every time he plays and he plays 60 or 70 times a year. He is a top, top player for me.”

It’s a shame that a player with Arteta’s qualities doesn’t get a national team call-up, but it’s understandable judging by the impressive names which rule Spain’s midfield like Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso and others.

Do you think he would perform just as good as the others if given a chance to prove his worth?