Ajax confirm they are lining up Vertonghen’s replacement

The versatile Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen has made it clear that he will be moving to the Premiership next season, and he has also indicated that Arsenal is a likely destination.

He said last week: “My agent knows what clubs I’m willing to go to. Arsenal are obviously one of them. Ajax are busy trying to find solutions to replace me.”

So it would seem that the Belgian international already knows which club he will be going to, and the Ajax are openly preparing for life without Thomas Vermaelen’s international partner and have reportedly been watching the Brazilian Douglas who is currently playing at FC Twente.

This was confirmed by the Ajax manager Frank de Boer who said: “It is correct that we are keeping tabs on Douglas as a potential replacement for Vertonghen.”

It seems clear that Arsene Wenger is trying to tie up his main targets long before the transfer window opens, could Vertonghen be next in line after Podolski?