Arsenal aiming for another top-class veteran striker?

It has been reported today that the French giants PSG and Arsenal are amongst the clubs interested in bringing in the veteran Juventus striker Alessandro del Piero on a free transfer next summer, as Arsene Wenger was so pleased with Thierry Henry’s contribution when he arrived at the Emirates in January.

Tuttosport reported last week that Arsenal have already begun talks with the Juve legend (as they are legally allowed to from January), but there are also a few American clubs making enquiries as well.

The Arsenal link is a little tenuous but Del Piero’s brother and agent, Stefano del Piero, said yesterday “At this moment there is nothing new. However, all roads are open. There are no restrictions on what type of project is behind a proposal. ”

“The type of football does count, but the main interest is the project. So, all tracks are currently open.

“I think that after 20 years with Juventus and having given his availability to the club to sign a new deal since last February, it is now very difficult to remain in Italy.

“We are not close to anything, but I think it will be hard to remain in Serie A.”

I’m not sure how they connected that quote into a link to Arsenal, but IF Wenger was interested, could the Gunners have a use for such a talented but ageing hitman?