Arsenal thank police after race incident arrest

There was a big commotion after an Arsenal fan was caught on camera racially abusing Chiek Tiote during the Gunners game against Newcastle, and the Metropolitan Police have identified the main suspect in the case and have questioned him in North London.

Arsenal took the opportunity yesterday to thank the police for their swift action in this matter, and to reiterate that they will not tolerate racism in any form at the club. The Arsenal statement said: “Following an incident during our home Premier League match against Newcastle United on Monday March 12, a 29-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public-order offence.

“The suspect has been interviewed and bailed to return to Islington police station in April.

“Arsenal Football Club would like to take this opportunity to thank the Metropolitan Police Service for their co-operation and swift action in this matter.

“We reiterate that Arsenal Football Club does not tolerate foul language, racist chanting, homophobic chanting or any anti-social behaviour at Emirates Stadium, and we will continue to act with zero tolerance towards any individual found to be acting in an abusive manner.”

The arrest was confirmed by a police spokesman who said: “Metropolitan Police officers today arrested a 29-year-old man at an address in Ilford on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public-order offence.

“He was taken to a north London police station where he was subsequently bailed to a date in April.

“The arrest follows an allegation after the Arsenal match against Newcastle at the Emirates stadium on Monday 12 March.”

If the police are quick enough to bring any suspects of racism to justice very quickly, hopefully it will stop other hooligans from thinking they are free to abuse opposition players at Arsenal Football Ground, and get it stamped out as quickly as possible.