Arsenal-target Clint Dempsey refuses contract extension at Fulham

One of Arsenal’s top summer transfer targets Clint Dempsey is not in much of a hurry to sign a contract extension with Fulham given the fact that the newspapers are intensely speaking of Arsenal’s interest in the striker.

“We’ll just have to see what happens,” he said. “Some of my best memories have been at Fulham.

“I still have this season and one more to be at the club.

“I’m talking with the club, but we’ll just have to see what happens in the summer.

“I just want to wait until the season has finished before I talk about anything.

“I want to focus on the rest of this season and that other stuff can take care of itself afterwards.”

Fulham’s Martin Jol is also highly aware of how important Dempsey is for the club, and the manager wishes to motivate Dempsey into snubbing Arsenal’s interest.

“We’ve offered him a good contract so hopefully he’ll sign it.

“It’s up to him. He knows what the club is all about, he knows he’s an important player to us and that we’d like to keep him.

“We haven’t scored a lot of goals over the last couple of years with our strikers, so I think Clint has made himself indispensable.”

Arsene Wenger also has other options for his team’s attacking needs, but according to rumours he hasn’t reached a decision yet on who he wants most to come to the Emirates.

Should Dempsey be a priority because of his proven Premiership experience?