Arsene Wenger promises to spend this summer…..but wisely!

The ex-Arsenal star Sol Campbell has been mouthing off that Arsene Wenger needs to splash the cash this summer. The big defender reckons that Arsenal need to bring in some big stars that are capable of winning the Premiership title in an effort to persuade Robin Van Persie to renew his contract at the Emirates.

But it is well-known fact that Wenger doesn’t like gambling real money for expensive established stars, and he has responded to Campbell by assuring him that he will not change his policy of buying quality players for little outlay.

Wenger replied: “What has not changed at all is our policy that we will be as ambitious as ever and spend the money we have available, if possible in an intelligent and wise way.

“We have always spent money because we are ambitious for top-class players and if you look at the history of our last 15 years, we have always had top-class players. Sol Campbell is one of them.”

That was a nice little dig at Campbell there, especially as Arsenal bought him without having to pay any transfer fee whatsoever!

Wenger was then asked if he was worried that Manchester City or Chelsea could outbid him if they went for the same targets as Arsenal, and he replied: “It does not mean you cannot win the title. There are two basic trophies for me that are the sign of the quality of a team; they are the Premier League and the Champions League.

“The Champions League is prestigious and it is half league and half cup. That means that at the end, the teams who wins must show real quality.

“All the rest, they are trophies of course and they are important, but they do not really reflect the deep quality of a team. The championship does, and we want to win it.

“Our ambition is intact, to win the championship. It depends on how we finish the season to decide how much we need to buy to have a chance to win the championship next season.”

Considering that Arsenal lost both Fabregas and Nasri last summer, the fact that they are still likely to finish Third is nothing short of amazing. Surely Wenger won’t need to bring in many players to take them up to the next level?