Vermaelen – Once a Gooner, Always a Gooner!

Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen has revealed he would love to spend the rest of his career on the Emirates.

The 26 year old defender came to Arsenal from Ajax Amsterdam in 2009 and managed to gather 67 appearances and 13 goals so far for the Gunners. Thomas Vermaelen enjoys the life in London and he wishes to remain with Arsenal for the rest of his career.

In an interview for the Daily Mirror, Vermaelen said: “I will stay at Arsenal forever. There will be no transfer for me.”

“I love London. I’ve got a house there, I’m happy there and I don’t see any reason to ever leave the club.”

At 26 is too early to even think about retirement, but Thomas Vermaelen is so happy at Arsenal that he can make this kind of statements. The Belgian defender joined Arsenal in 2009 for an initial fee of €10 million, which got to €12 million based on his performances. Vermaelen even managed to be the team’s captain in a pre-season match against A.C. Milan, so he is considered to be one of the squad’s most important players so he could make a long career at Arsenal. If his performances remain the same Arsene Wenger will have no reason to replace the Belgian, so his years at Arsenal have just started.