Koscielny thanks Wenger for France call-up

We all know that when he joined Arsenal, Koscielny had a quite lengthy period when he scored more goals between Arsenal’s goals than he cleared, and that rose a few questions regarding his talent and skills.

A few people thought that the French defender, who was far from being an international back then, isn’t good enough to be at Arsenal, but we can all say now that his performances have improved massively, and he seems to think the same.

‘Nobody can doubt that I have improved as a footballer since I have been at Arsenal,’ the 26-year-old said. ‘I am clearly noticing that and it’s a personal effort with the help of the manager.

‘For me, Wenger has been a key person in my life because of the opportunity he gave me. I will always be grateful to him.

‘At Arsenal I have grown physically and mentally. The media pressure and environment is very different in France and England, as well as the game itself.

‘I don’t know where I would be now if I had stayed in the French league. Perhaps I wouldn’t be in the reckoning for the national team.’

Koscielny was also helped by being the only Arsenal defender that wasn’t beset by injuries last season. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could go a whole season with a fully-fit back line. I know it’s a big wish!