Arsenal rumour roundup – Giroud, Rondon, Doumbia, Holtby, Cuenca and RVP

There are some strange Arsenal transfer rumours about at the minute. QPR (yes QPR) are set to challenge Arsenal to sign the French international striker Olivier Giroud. The prolific Montpellier hit man may er one of the sensations of Euro 2012, and had just powered his club past big spending Paris Saint-Germain in the race for the French title.

Giroud has told his club that he is ready to move on to bigger challenges, so obviously QPR would be the first team he thinks of ;-). Arsenal have no chance so they are reportedly turning their attention to the Malaga hitman Salomon Rondon.

The 22-year old Venezuelan international has hit 25 goals in his 67 league games for the Spanish club. In his first season he kept them in La Liga, and in his second season he pipped Ruud van Nistelrooy to the top scorer position and fired Malaga into the Champion’s league. Malaga value him at around £20 million and Arsenal are unlikely to agree. The Gunners also have their eyes on Seydou Doumbia of CSKA Moscow, who won the Russian Golden Boot this year.

Schalke midfielder Lewis Holtby has alerted Arsenal by saying that he would love to play in England and Arsenal are the club he would choose, despite being an Everton fan like his father. He said today: “A move to Arsenal would be a massive move because in footballing terms they have always been my favourite.

“They play nice one touch football, offensive and with young players and a nice stadium so its a nice club. But for now my thoughts are with Schalke and you never know.

“My agent is there for that, I am here to play football. I love playing football, I love winning trophies and that is my dedication and that is my life.”

He is young and extremely gifted, so Arsene Wenger should definitely have a look at him despite him failing to make the Germany side at the Euros.

Tottenham and Lille are competing with Arsenal for the signature of Marvin Martin. He plays as a midfielder for French side Sochaux and is valued at around £10 million.

Barcelona have issued a hands off warning regarding 20-year old striker Christian Tello and 21-year old winger/midfielder Isaac Cuenca. They are not for sale, according to the new boss Tito Vilanova.

Other than that – nothing has been decided, but Robin van Persie gave Gooners the jitters by stating that Juventus were a great club. I hope he was merely responding to a question from the Italian journalist that was interviewing him at the time.