Gazidis insists that Arsenal ARE ambitious

Ivan Gazidis has promised fans of the club that the management will do ‘everything in their power’ to make sure that Arsenal can challenge for trophies next year. “That is what this summer is about and that is what we are focused on for next year”, said the chief executive at Arsenal.

“We have a good team, we have a good young core of players and we need everybody involved to have belief so that we can push forward into next year and make a run at the Premier League trophy and for the Champions League. We want to win major competitions; we want to win the Premier League. We want to compete to win the Champions League and that is our ambition.”

Having already signed Lukas Podolski, Arsenal look set to build a strong squad around Robin van Persie the coming season. Gazidis has also claimed that the club has had a ‘good discussion’ with skipper Van Persie at the end of last season. He said both parties have agreed to keep the discussions to themselves and make announcements when the time is right.

Arsenal will definitely try hard to hold on to their most prized asset, who after having won the PFA and FWA Player of the Year awards in England, is being courted by several major clubs. Manchester City and Juventus are only two of those and should Van Persie has an impressive outing at the Euros, the list is bound to grow further.

But looking at the players that Man City already have, and the new ones joining Chelsea, it is going to be even harder for Arsenal to compete next season. Unless of course Gazidis intends to be ambitious in the transfer market as well – and not just in words…….