Arsene Wenger tempted by another striker for Arsenal

I think that Arsenal might be playing a 3-2-5 formation during the coming season. Arsene Wenger has let slip that he is looking closely at yet another striker. Last week it was Spanish striker Adrian Lopez who was being linked to Arsenal, and this week it is Marco Reus.

Wenger commentated on Germany’s quarter final against Greece for French TV, and was seriously impressed by their 23-year old striker Marco Reus. The Borussia Dortmund player capped a brilliant performance with a great goal and has put himself firmly in the thoughts of Arsenal’s boss.

Germany rotated their front line so, unfortunately, Wenger did not get to see Reus play with Arsenal’s new signing Lukas Podolski but was asked by his co-commentator whether he was tracking Reus and the Frenchman admitted that he was.

Reus was loaned to Borussia Monchengladbach last season but will start the next season at Dortmund after scoring 21 goals in his 37 games. He has got five years on his Dortmund deal and cost the Germans around £14 million so if Arsenal want to sign him he will be expensive. We all know that Arsenal can afford most players if they really want them but do not like to spend a lot of money.

What worries me is that, with Giroud and Podolski joining the Gunners, Arsenal are blessed with a host of strikers. Does Wenger’s continued search for more indicate that we might soon be losing one? I am not talking about Vela, Bendtner or Chamakh here but the top scorer and player of the year Robin van Persie.

I hope not but I am getting worried by the lack of progress in new contract talks. Am I worrying for no reason?