Arsenal’s Goalkeeping Nightmare

This summer Arsenal look to be selling a lot of players once again, with players from each position being shown the door. But one area that many fans have forgotten to think about is the Goalkeeping position.

We currently have Wojiech Szczesny, Lukas Fabianski, Vito Mannone, James Shea and Damien Martinez, the latter two swapping between first team and reserves. But with Almunia already gone and James Shea likely to leave this summer we are then faced with the problem of Fabianski’s and Mannone’s respective futures.

I recently did an article about Hull city contacting Arsenal over Vito Mannone, but he will only leave if we cannot guarantee him some playing time. Now we all have our opinions on Mannone and if you say he’s never been good, then you clearly don’t remember the 2009/10 season when in 3 games running he made some fantastic saves especially at Fulham when he kept us in the game and helped us win 1-0.

But the problem is, is that we are in the same situation with Fabianski. Unless he is guaranteed more playing time he also wants to leave, so here Arsenal need to make a decision. We cannot afford to lose 4 goalkeepers in 1 transfer window, because let’s face it, what are the chances of us finding a quality back up Goalkeeper.
The Goalkeeping position is one of the toughest places to buy in because, unlike other positions on the pitch, if you’re not better than the other Goalkeeper then it’s highly unlikely that you will get much game time.

So when I think of a Goalkeeper who wouldn’t mind potentially sitting on the bench, who also has some challenging quality to our current man between the sticks is Craig Gordon. He can be a fantastic goalkeeper on his day and if he can stay fit then he would push WS13 on, to become a better keeper. But that’s the only problem with Gordon is keeping him match fit, other than that he would be a good back up keeper to have.

So, what happens if we sell both keepers, surely we need to buy another one, there’s no doubt about that but the question is who do we realistically try to buy. There aren’t that many available keepers that are of good quality and who know that they will potentially spend a lot of time on the bench. Another option is we buy a high quality keeper as 1st choice and demote szczesny to the bench. I’m not really in favour of that last option, but it’s still something which should be considered.

What do you think we should do, leave your thoughts in the comments below.