Arsenal can compete-but not financially

Arséne Wenger has come out and told the press that we are ready to compete for the top trophies once again. by AH

The Arsenal Squad play their 3rd pre-season game this Tuesday and the Arsenal manager has been speaking to the Japanese Press whilst he awaits the 1st game in which the squad’s latest signings WILL feature.

“Firstly, I must say that not being able to match the spending of the richest clubs does not mean that you can’t compete with them on the pitch,” Wenger told Time Out Hong Kong.

“When I first came to England, this question did not exist. Every club was run within its resources. The Chelsea and the Man City are new problems. But with this new financial environment, what has not changed at all is our policy that we will be as ambitious as ever and spend the money that we have available, if possible in an intelligent and wise way.”

“We have always spent money because we are ambitious for top-class players and if you look at the history of our last 15 years, we have always had top-class players.”

Wenger clearly is showing his intentions and it’s good to interpret his ambition to sign “top-class players”, however whether his intentions are different to the boards intentions is a question up for discussion, but it does show that Wenger is trying his hardest and doing the best he can for the club under the current conditions. Not only does Wenger have to work around other rival clubs that have millions more available money, but he also has to work under a board that squeezes every penny out of any potential deal and a fan base that can get critical after losing a single game.

Yes, we can’t compete financially, but we must believe and hope that we can continue to compete whatever way our club is run. We must all admit that we are clearly nowhere near as good as we used to be but we must move on, accept the squad that we currently have and support them no matter what. Arsenal fans must believe, take Wenger’s approach and the spirit that we all hold can bring the team together and, maybe, just make our team successful once again.

“It does not mean you can’t win the title if you can’t compete financially.”