Barcelona are keen on Arsenal’s Alex Song

The new coach of Barcelona, Tito Vilanova, has identified a defensive midfielder who can pass the ball as his primary target this summer. Reports from the Spanish media suggest that Alex Song has moved to the top of his list.

The departure of Seydou Keita after four seasons with Barcelona has left a big gap in the Barcelona team. They have got plenty of good midfielders, but they all want to go forward. Rumours have abounded that the Spanish international  defensive midfielder Javi Martinez was going to join Barcelona, but Athletic Bilbao have held firm. Barcelona will not pay the £32 million that Bilbao want and Vilanova has decided to give up on him.

Apparently, Barcelona are preparing a bid of around ¬£12 million for Song, but I can imagine that Arsene Wenger would not even wipe his arse on that. Why would we let one of our top players leave for an amount that would not even get us an untried replacement (M’Vila)? Wenger knows how important Song is to the team, with his talent and versatility he would be very hard to replace. Not to mention the angry backlash from Gooners if Song was allowed to leave.

Arsenal should slap a £40 million release clause on Song when he next signs a new deal.