Arsenal edge closer to keeping van Persie

The Arsenal captain Robin van Persie is training with his team mates, both old and new, at Arsenal’s training camp in Germany. It seems to be all smiles and back to business before the Gunners take on Cologne on Sunday in the last pre-season friendly.

It doesn’t tell you everything, but some good camaraderie and excitement about the season ahead could just remind our Dutch striker of how good it can be to be a Gunner.

There have still been no official bids big enough to tempt Arsene Wenger, and the closer the end of August gets, the nearer we get to keeping van Persie. Even if he still wants to leave in January, van Persie could be indispensable at the start of this season. Wenger will listen to serious offers, but not the amounts of around £12 million that have been reported.

The new Gunners Santi Cazorla, Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud should also bring new excitement and optimism to the Arsenal squad. Van Persie could find himself looking around thinking “we can really win something this year.” If he stays with the club and starts banging in the goals, i think that he will soon be forgiven.

Man City are looking more and more likely to start their season with the same front four, after Mancini squashed any moves for Tevez or Dzeko from Italy. Juventus have been put on alert by Fernando Llorente from Athletic Bilbao. The Spanish striker has told bosses at the club that he wants to move on. Maybe, just maybe we will not sell our captain this summer.