Szczesny and Vermaelen make a case for the Arsenal defence

Wojciech Szczesny and Thomas Vermaelen have both been impressed with Steve Bould’s defensive coaching ability. The pair have both openly spoken several times this summer already on how they like the look of the new team, and the positivity from them shows the belief that the team has ahead of the new season.

Thomas Vermaelen said: “Steve is really good to work with, especially for defenders as he has been a defender himself, He knows what it is all about and gives us a lot of tips. He works a lot on the shape of the team and that is very important, so I am very happy he came to work with the first team. He is very focused on details.”

“Focused on a lot of players, because we are getting older, we know how to play. But he looks at details and the shape of your body and to be honest I am learning a lot from him. We have to get the shape of the team right, we have been working on it throughout pre-season and we are focusing on that. I think having your shape right is one of the most important things in football, whether you have the ball or don’t have the ball. We are working really hard on that and Steve does the job really well.”

Wojciech Szczesny said: “We’re strong offensively and assistant manager Steve Bould has been doing some fantastic work with the defence. That seems to be working very well, it all makes me believe we’ll be that little bit stronger. We’ve done a lot of [defensive] shape work in training, work on when we lose the ball and a lot of defending on crosses. It’s all very sharp as well. Steve likes to shout at players and keep them on their toes – so it’s looking positive.”

So it seems that our new assistant manager is looking set to be a big help to the team overall, and not just to Wenger’s decisions.