Alex Song is happy at Arsenal

Like most Gooners, I was horrified when stories about a potential move to Barcelona by our midfield maestro Alex Song began to appear in the papers. Barcelona players such as Andres Iniesta were reported to be trying to convince Song not to sign a new deal at Arsenal and to join the Catalan club’s fight to regain the Spanish league title. Was it true? Would he go? Well, it is true that Barcelona, but Song has given an indication that he will not go.

Barcelona and their players seem to think that any player would jump at the chance to join their club, but Song has affirmed that he is not looking for a move away from Arsenal.

“I am not going to lie if I said there is no interest but I am at Arsenal and I am happy at Arsenal.”

That should be that, hopefully, as Barcelona were hoping to get Song for a miserly £12 million. That sort of offer is laughable, but if Song was to demand a move and tell Arsene Wenger to release him, it might be hard for Arsenal to resist Barcelona’s overtures.

It is not just Song that Barcelona are courting, but a number of players who could fill in as a defensive midfielder, centre back or playmaker.The Spanish side are offering their youngster Tello as part of the deal, but Arsenal do not really need him. There is no mention of Song signing an extension to his current deal, but with two years left, there is no great rush.

There is definitely an air of confidence at the Emirates at the minute, and the team are ready to challenge for glory this season.