Wenger – Arsenal are ready to fight for the title

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is quite confident of his team’s chances this season in the league. The Frenchman said in an interview to Arsenal Player –
“We are in a much stronger position now because last summer we lost Nasri and Fabregas, and on top of that we lost Diaby and Wilshere [to injury]. So we lost four players at the start of last season and that is not the case this time. We want to [compete for honours] and we have a desire to.

“We are up for it and what we want is to come out of the season and know we have given our best. I feel we did that last year, finishing third with the start we had. The first target is to do as well as we can in every single game and see where we stand at the end of the season. But of course we want to fight for the championship.”

Arsenal ended their pre-season with an emphatic victory over FC Koln. That win had a lot of positives for the Gunners to take home. New signings like Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud gelled together quite well. It hardly seemed like they were playing together for the first time as they displayed encouraging understanding between themselves which was highlighted by Arsenal’s fluid attacking moves.

Perhaps the most confidence boosting factor was that the Gunners scored four goals without Robin van Persie on the pitch. The Dutchman only came on as a substitute late in the game. Though it was only a friendly and the results must be taken with a pinch of salt, the fact remains that the Arsenal team is better prepared than they were at the same time last season. Excited for the season to begin? We bet you are!