Arsenal give captaincy to Vermaelen

Arsene Wenger has picked Thomas Vermaelen as his new captain and Mikel Arteta as the vice captain. Vermaelen was the obvious choice to replace the Dutch turncoat Robin van Persie as he was already the vice captain. I am a little bit surprised that Arteta got the nod, but Wenger is clearly very impressed with the Spanish midfielder.

Both Vermaelen and Arteta are signs of a subtle shift of emphasis from attacking flair to solid team work. Before van Persie the Gunners had Cesc Fabregas as captain and Arsenal were all about going forward and scoring goals. I am sure that Wenger does not want us to stop scoring, but I am equally sure that he wants his team to be harder to beat.

Arsenal’s next signing (if there is one) could tell us alot about how Arsene sees his team this season. Do we really need another striker, or is Wenger confident that there are plenty of goals in the side already? Do we need to add some bite and steel to give the creative side it’s freedom to roam?

I cannot wait for the start of the season tomorrow and to see how the Gunners line up. 3-1 I reckon, to Arsenal of course.