Arsenal have lost Song to Barcelona

Arsenal have agreed to sell Alex Song to Barcelona for £17 million. The 24-year old Cameroonian international said farewell to everyone at Arsenal and cleared all his stuff out of his locker after this morning’s training session. Arsene Wenger ans Song had a talk after the training session and Wenger told Song that he would be allowed to leave.

According to Metro, Wenger has lost patience with Song after his agent offered the player to a few clubs around Europe. Song has previously stated that he was happy at Arsenal, but Barcelona have made no secret of the club’s interest and their players have been quoted in the Spanish papers encouraging Song to join them in the Nou camp.

MundoDeportivo have reported that the deal is done, but that Song will not be announced as a Barcelona player until Monday. Barcelona will have a full home crowd on Monday night for their annual Joan Gamper trophy against Sampdoria.

Arsenal fans will be wondering what is going on. After the sale of our captain Robin van Persie to hated English rivals Manchester United, we have sold one of our best players of last season to our strongest European rivals. It is hard to take, I just pray that Wenger has something up his sleeve. The loan deal for Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid should now be announced, but the money from Song and van Persie could really give the team a timely boost.