Biglia or M’Vila for Arsenal?

Arsene Wenger has admitted that he “might” bring in  a new signing or two after selling two of Arsenal’s best players from last season in under a week. The smart money is on a direct replacement for Alex Song, a defensive midfielder. The Turkish international Nuri Sahin is very likely to come to Arsenal for the season on loan, but I still expect Wenger to sign somebody to replace Song permanently.

The choices seem to have been narrowed down to Lucas Biglia of Anderlecht in Belgium or Yann M’Vila from Rennes in France. Both players have told their clubs they are ready to move on, both have been tracked intensively by Arsenal and both have stated their desire to play in the Premier league. So which is it to be?

25-year old Argentinean Biglia has made 241 league appearances for Anderlecht since 2006. He has helped them to win five cups and three league titles, including the last two. Biglia is definitely ready to move his career forward.

“I want to play in a big league, and my new club must be in the Europa league at least.

I want to play in the spotlight of the Argentina national team coach. The national team is my dream.”

The problem that Biglia has is that he plays the same position as Javier Mascherano and, while at Anderlecht, he will not be able to oust him.

At 22-years old, the French international M’Vila is younger than Biglia but obviously has less experience. He has, however, forced his way in to the national side already. Last week he told reporters that there was a concrete offer for him from an English club. Many thought it was Tottenham, as Arsenal were thought to have cooled their interest, but Tottenham have declared that they think M’Vila is too defensive for their needs.

Either player has the quality and defensive discipline that Arsenal need, but if I had to put money on it I would go for M’Vila. Sahin is more of a deep lying playmaker and we need someone with grit to break up the opponents play. Who would you go for?