Arsenal in pole position for M’Vila

Yann M’Vila’s French club, Rennes, are just about resigned to losing their 22-year old midfielder. The general manager of the club has spoken to the French radio station RMC.

“For the moment there are three offers. There is no agreement. We enter negotiations this week and hope to find a solution.”

The reason I think that Arsenal are in the best position to land the Frenchman is that, like Nuri Sahin, the player has expressed a preference for the Gunners. Wenger and his ability to improve young talent is famous, especially in his native France. M’Vila has talked about his wish to play in the Premier league and the Champion’s league, so that narrows the field down a bit.

The two clubs other than Arsenal that are trying to sign M’Vila are Tottenham and Zenit St. Petersburg from Russia. Scouts from both teams were at Bordeaux on Sunday where Rennes played their first game of the season. This goes against Spurs’ claim that they had given up on M’Vila because he is too defensive. Arsenal scouts were not there and this could signify a few things.

It could be true that Wenger is no longer trying to sign the player. He could be fully aware of M’Vila’s abilities and have no need to see him again. Or, more likely in my opinion, he is feigning disinterest to ensure that Arsenal get as good a deal as possible. Rennes are still pushing for nearly £16 million for M’Vila.

Zenit are in the champion’s league and Tottenham are in the Premier league, but Arsenal are in both. So the only thing stopping Arsenal from signing M’Vila is themselves. Will he be a Gunner this season?