Arsenal switch sights to another French midfielder

According to latest reports, Yohan Cabaye could be on his way to Arsenal. The Gunners were earlier linked with Cabaye’s team mate Cheick Tiote. But Arsene Wenger has crushed those rumours saying that although they are looking for a new defensive midfielder, Tiote won’t arrive at the Emirates –

‘I’m pleased with what I have, but yes I anticipate that we will do something. Defensive midfielder? It depends on the quality of the players available. Tiote is a good player, but he’s not on the way to Arsenal.’

But one can always take Arsene’s press comments with a pinch of salt. I think Tiote is a far better option than Cabaye, because Arsenal are lacking a defensive midfielder at the moment. Although Mikel Arteta has done a great job so far, Tiote will certainly add more steel. But perhaps Wenger is more concerned with creativity than Arsenal’s rear guard since the Gunners have now failed to score in two premier league games in a row.

Alan Pardew has meanwhile shown resilience in letting his star players leave. He would try hard to avoid any recurrence of Andy Carroll’s incident where they didn’t have enough time to spend the money they got from the transfer. Hence he would certainly be avoiding any last minute transfer. The Newcastle United manager said –

‘All my bigger players are important and would be hard to replace now.

‘You lose a big player at this stage of the season and you have to try to take someone out from somewhere else and they want a replacement and suddenly time is running out.

‘We want to avoid losing any of our big players and not being able to get someone in to replace them.’

Cabaye’s transfer would make little sense for Arsenal since they certainly don’t lack players in the attacking half of the midfield and Cabaye is certainly not defensively better than any of the options that the Gunners already have. So what would you prefer? Tiote or Cabaye?