Could Arsenal be going for Ba?

Hey for a second there, I thought AW was content with Giroud and Chamakh as our two front line attackers. Then reports flew in like a pigeon to some bread that Newcastle are lining up a move for a replacement striker. Why? Well Arsenal are reportedly offering £7m for the prolific striker from Newcastle, Demba Ba.

Ba has been somewhat of a spectacle since signing on a free transfer from West Ham last summer. To be honest, he scored some crackers last season and had a £7m release clause in his contract, which has expired (the clause, not the contract). So D day nonsense or actual possibility? Guess we’ll have to wait a little bit longer to find out. The player could quit St James’ Park with Arsenal offering him a step up the pecking order.

At £7m it’s not hard to predict that many other sides will be sniffing around the powerfully built French born forward but the promise of Champions League football, a tournament Demba Ba is yet to feature in, could see Wenger and Arsenal leading the race for his services. What’s more, we need a back up for Giroud. We can’t put our hopes on a trophy this season without a seriously good striker and equally impressive back up.

Ba has been slightly overshadowed by the arrival of national team-mate Papiss Cisse but still notched up 16 goals in his first term at Newcastle United and Pardew’s interest in Dutchman Luuk De Jong could be seen as a sign that he is resigned to losing the former West Ham man. Obviously not a done deal but surely with us needing a striker and the Toons looking to replace a striker, the puzzle pieces may just fall into place with this one.

Tweets have also been suggesting that Michael Owen could be a possibility, but I really can’t see that happening.