Arsenal defend well and emerge victorious from Anfield

What a great day! Arsenal weren’t their classic self but still had enough class to beat the likes of Liverpool, 2-0! A fantastic display from our new signings Carzorla and Podolski saw them both grace the score sheet.

The match started off shakily with both Jenkinson and Mertesacker giving the ball away cheaply and for most of the first half Liverpool pressed well and maintained possession without creating too much in the final third. The half progressed gradually until a spark of genius inspired Podolski into some space, scoring a magnificent breakaway goal. A difficult angle, Podolski controlled and slotted the ball into the left corner to open our account for the season.

The half finished 1-0 to The Arsenal and the second half picked up where the first left off. Liverpool dominated possession but failed to finish in the box. Carzorla kept pushing play behind Liverpool’s midfield until he linked play beautifully with Podolski to slip the ball under Pepe’s arm and into the back of the net. At 2-0 up Arsenal looked comfortable, defending well and playing as a unit. Mannone was tested as the game came to a close but made some brilliant saves to keep Liverpool out the game.

On the whole then, an excellent result for Arsenal and Arsene Wenger. My man of the match-Diaby. He looked solid and defended well. I think if he remains match fit, Song won’t be missed at all! Other key performances included Vermaelen who as usual held the defense and made some telling tackles, Podolski who attacked, defended and counter attacked brilliantly and Carzorla, who as usual looked sharp and creative, linking well with Giroud and especially Podolski.

Great result for The Gunners!