Arsenal new boys prove Wenger (and Pires) right

So our new signings all excelled in today’s match against Liverpool, silencing the media about whether the transfer window was a complete bust for Arsenal. We looked like a team for the first time in the season and our composure was spot on. Even after scoring our opening goal, we never looked to concede through lack of concentration. A big part of that had to do with Carzorla, Podolski and Giroud- Arsenal’s fresh faces for the season.

Before the kickoff, ex player and Arsenal legend, Robert Pires, had this to say, about Wenger’s new recruits,
“…I have seen Giroud playing in France and he has the qualities you need in England. He is strong and he has good touch. He can be like Van Persie in my opinion. Podolski is very mobile around the pitch and he is a Germany international with many caps. They will adapt.

“Arsenal’s other signing – Santi Cazorla – is someone I know well. I played with him at Villarreal for three years.He would have won many more caps for Spain but he is playing at the same time as ­people like Xavi and Iniesta. He has adjusted to England very quickly. He will not have a ­problem and the fans will love him. This is a ­difficult time for ­Arsene Wenger. He has lost ­important players in the last year like Gael Clichy, Cesc ­Fabregas, Robin van Persie and Alex Song. But he has lost players in the past and replaced them and I am sure he will do it again.”

If today’s result was anything to go by, then Wenger has found suitable replacements for the players who have left the Emirates this season. Already stating that we were covered in midfield, the biggest question was whether Arsenal had enough firepower upfront with RVP having moved on. Giroud hasn’t opened his goal account in the EPL yet but did have a good game today despite not featuring on the score sheet. His movement and ariel ability were outstanding and with the right crosses, I think he won’t have to wait very long till he does begin to rack up the goals. Technically, one can see his potential. He’s been unlucky not score yet, and perhaps his near misses could be scratched as a transitional period into the English game.

Luckily, Carzorla and Podolski were on hand to help out and see Arsenal through to a comfortable victory. Wenger’s eye for talent certainly hasn’t blurred.