France taking no chances with Olivier Giroud

Arsenal’s French striker, Olivier Giroud will not play for France on Friday night against Finland. Speaking as to why the player would not be participating, French manager, Didier Deschamps said, “Maxime Gonalons will participate in the training. Olivier Giroud is a little too risky. We will make a separate practice which should enable him to participate in the next match. It is better, especially for him, he has a little more time.”

From the above quote, one asks what about Giroud is too risky? Didier Deschamps then elaborated on his statement, saying, ” Its a muscle problem, it is better for him to have more time. I would have preferred Olivier in full possession of his faculties, but it is like that.” The French manager failed to speak more on the issue but did add, “He is going to work aside so he can be fit for the next game,”

The next game being Tuesday’s group I match against Belarus in Paris. Olivier Giroud, who left Ligue 1 champions Montpellier to join Arsenal during the close season, paired with Karim Benzema in a goalless friendly against Uruguay last month had been expected to start against Finland.

Arsenal supporters will see the news of Giroud’s injury as something of a concern given the lack of strikers in the squad. However, at the same time, relieved to know that Didier Deschamps has acknowledged the muscle pain as a potential injury, opting to rest the player rather than take a chance. Arense Wenger will be hoping for an injury free International break, that will allow him to choose from a wide selection of players. The Arsenal manager is having to already to contend with injuries from Wilshere, Frimpong and most notably Sagna.

Arsenal fans will be hoping that Giroud recovers from his muscle pain and be fully fit before Arsenal’s next match against Southampton.