Spanish striker on Arsenal radar

The 24-year-old Spanish striker, Adrian Lopez, had an impressive start to his Atletico Madrid career after signing from Deportivo. He scored 11 goals in 18 appearances last season as Atletico won the Europa league. Subsequently, he was linked with clubs like Arsenal, Barcelona and Tottenham.

Adrian, who won the Golden boot in the 2011 U-21 European championships, was then assured of a bumper contract by Atletico who valued him highly. Atletico did offer him a huge contract, but reports suggest that talks between the player and the club have stalled.

Adrian, in an interview a few days back, said –

“I’m very happy here. I have a few years left at Atletico Madrid. It’s very important to continue to work every day, and be excited at every practice and every game”.

Although the Spanish forward still has 3 years left in his current contract, he has a £14.5million release clause in his contract. Reports from Spain suggest that both Arsenal and Tottenham are willing to exploit the release clause in January. That is unless Adrian Lopez signs a new contract by then and increases the release clause. Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham are somewhat short in numbers up front. Even if Giroud starts to fire, Arsenal are short on cover so, will Wenger wave his chequebook?