Are Cazorla and Arsenal the perfect match?

Summer signing Santi Cazorla has spoken out in an interview and told reporters what a great time he’s having with the Arsenal first team. Cazorla talks about Arsenal tactics, Arsene Wenger and his new teammates.

Cazorla said;

“I love the style of the team. Wenger’s philosophy is to control the game and I like to be on the ball. Furthermore, the boss has put me in a position, second striker, with all the freedom I want to have.

“He told me to be at ease and that he’d play me where I could most help the team. It surprised me in pre-season when he put me as the second striker.”

If Cazorla had never played this position before then he is even better than most Gooners think. He could easily revert to the wings and do a great job if called upon, which he might be when the return of Rosicky and Wilshere make the competition for places in the middle extremely fierce.

“I’ve come to play on the wings with the freedom to move inside, but Wenger has immediately put me in this position. With Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky and Wilshere, who is recovering from injury, we’re going to have a lot of the ball.

“Arteta has advised me a lot, he told me football is much faster and less tactical than Spain. It’s more give-and-go. Mikel has helped me to learn to see the game and said that, if we play rapidly with the ball, we’re going to create a lot of danger and we’ll beat most teams.

“Wenger wants him [Arteta] now as a defensive pivot and he’s doing it very well. He gives real balance and he can win the ball back and play it out because with the ball he’s spectacular.”

So it seems like the former Malaga man is enjoying his time at Arsenal and that he is impressed with our style of play. Cazorla has also let out some of Wenger’s intentions on where players will be playing this season, confirming the suggestions that Mikel Arteta will fill in full-time for the recently departed Alex Song.

Apart from Arteta, however, it looks like Arsenal will keep teams guessing as to who will play where, making it a nightmare to assign marking positions for the opposing teams. We have a great midfield and Cazorla could be the cherry on top of a very tasty cake.