Arsenal fans must hope that Giroud can handle the pressure

Giroud jeered by French crowd

The France supporters jeered Olivier Giroud while he was substituted in France’s match against Belarus last night where the home side won 3-0. Giroud has now scored only once in his 11 appearances for the national team so far. The Arsenal forward was replaced by Mathieu Valbuena in the 61st minute of the match after an insipid display.

Later on the French international expressed his disappointment at being substituted and the reaction of the crowd.
‘I welcomed my position in the starting XI with a lot of enthusiasm and happiness,’ said the beleagured Frenchman.

‘Being in French team starting XI is always a privilege. However, I was a little disappointed to be substituted.
‘When you are a forward you need time and try to not listen to the fans, above all at Stade de France, where the audience is always a little special.’

The Arsenal man who joined from French champions Montpellier this season is yet to score is debut goal for the club after three appearances. Unlike the French crowd, the Gooners have been patient with him and are seemingly prepared to give him time to settle down at London. For the Gunners to have good season, it is imperative that Giroud fires this season as they can’t solely depend on the midfield and Podolski to score goals for them in every match.

Let’s hope that this latest episode hasn’t dented his already fragile confidence and he can put it all behind him and score a hat-trick against Southampton.