How each Arsenal player fared against Southampton

Arsenal VS Southampton Player Ratings by AH

On Saturday, Arsenal ran rampant against a new look Southampton side that almost beat both Manchester United and Manchester City, however against Arsenal, we controlled, dominated the game and managed to punish the Saints with the majority of clear chances we had.

Szczesny  6 – A poor performance by the club’s number one. The Polish keeper who has just returned from injury (and has now been ruled out with another one) made a few errors including the deadly misjudgement that led to the Southampton goal. It wasn’t a dire performance but he must concentrate more should he stay as our number one.

Jenkinson 7 – Another good performance by the 20 year old. Looks stronger in every game, giving consistent performances every time he is on the pitch.

Mertesacker 8 – Another top class performance from the German. He is becoming solid as he controls the game with his ability to read the game so well. Lacks in pace but his footballing brain makes up for it. The German is looking like he could keep Koscielny out of the team.

Vermaelen 8 – A captain’s performance from the Belgian. He is a true leader, who commands the defence by keeping them in order. Made various tackles and blocks to spare Arsenal fans the fright of a strong Southampton front line. Him and Mertesacker kept Lambert quite all game.

Gibbs 8 – Another terrific performance from Kieran, who’s improving with every game. He had two shots with both resulted in goals, sadly they were both credited as own goals. Solid defensively.

Arteta 8 – Doesn’t get the recognition he deserves but Arsenal’s anchor-man had another solid performance controlling the midfield by helping out both offensively and defensively.

Coquelin 7.5 – Didn’t feature much in my opinion but did his duty well. However he gave up possession a few times and faded out a lot in the second half before being substituted for Aaron Ramsey.

Cazorla 8.5 – The Spaniard continues to impress as he creates chances left, right and centre. Another top performance, as he was involved with most attacks, gaining 1 assist this game. He’s created 18 chances so far this season, the leading amount in the Premier League.

Ox 7.5 – Good performance by the Ox, however I felt he did fade at times. Nevertheless he persisted throughout, attacking well and putting in various crosses for players to get onto. Hopefully he can find a link with Olivier Giroud in the near future.

Podolski 8.5 – A fans favourite already. Podolski Scored a wonderful free-kick and it’s like him and Santi have been playing for years. Great, powerful work leading up to the first goal too.

Gervinho 9 – A surprising performance from Gervinho, who played in a central striker role at times in this game. 2 goals for the Ivorian along with some superb link up play.

Ramsey – 7 Impressed when he game on, with a beautiful touch to set up the 5th Arsenal goal.

Walcott 7 – scored a goal after he came on but apart from that didn’t have much time