Wenger praises Arsenal fluidity-who needs RvP?

Arsenal have long been considered as the best passing team in the Premier league but were also seen as a little lightweight in winning the ball back or when playing against tougher opposition. The 49 goals we conceded in the Premier league last season were a painful reminder of this problem. Only Robin van Persie’s goals allowed us to overcome this weakness and finish third, thereby qualifying for the champion’s league.

Arsene Wenger is a lot happier about the balance in the Arsenal team this season. We may have lost the Premier league’s top scorer but the way the team is playing, from the back up, looks a whole lot better and the goals can be spread around the team.

“The team grows on the continuity of the Liverpool game and we could repeat the same quality of performance. You could feel there was a team energy in there that shows we play for each other. There are no big egos and that is good.”

That could have been a thinly veiled dig at Robin van Persie or Alex Song or both. The fact is that Arsenal are doing lots better than we were at this stage last season when those two were in the team and the team spirit seems vastly improved as well.

“We now have big games coming up and they will tell us more about our team. But there is something in there that is interesting to develop.”

With a tough fixture list on the horizon, Le Prof is being cautiously confident, but you can sense that he is happier with his Arsenal team than he has been in some time.