Theo Walcott’s future at Arsenal far from decided

Arsene Wenger has admitted that he is concerned over Theo Walcott’s future at the Emirates. The England international’s ongoing transfer saga was made clear with fans after the winger was jeered by sections of the Emirates stadium during Saturday’s 6-1 demolition against Southampton.

Walcott came off the bench and was met with mixed reception as he went on to score against his former club without celebration. Wenger has accepted that the uncertainty over Walcott’s future is not helping the player or Arsenal. The 23 year old will become a free agent if Arsenal fail to stop him running down his contract before the end of the season. Arsene Wenger delayed the transfer of Walcott in the summer but is clearly uncomfortable with the temporary agreement that is currently in place.

‘Clearly it is a worry. You want your players to be supported no matter what contractual situation they are in, but at the moment we cannot let this affect us.’ Wenger told reporters when asked about the jeers Walcott received.

‘We are still in a position where we hope Theo extends his contract. If we are in the same position next April, then clearly it will be more difficult. For now, he says he wants to stay at Arsenal and is committed to the team and that is important.’

‘Theo is only 23, but he has been through a lot in his career already. A lot of positives and negatives. I am confident he will stay here, that is what we all hope.’

Although Wenger has stated the importance of Walcott remaining at the Emirates, the winger has found life difficult this season, surrendering his starting place to ‘The Ox’. Whether Walcott remains at Arsenal is yet to be seen, however one thing is clear though, should Wenger not come to an agreement in January, Walcott may be on his way out of the club.