Wenger previews Montpellier vs. Arsenal

Arsene Wenger has given his thoughts on the opening fixture of the group stages of the champion’s league in Montpellier tonight. As expected, Wenger refuses to say that he expects to win, knowing that he must keep the players fully focused. He is quietly confident, however, with a fantastic unbeaten record against French teams in the Champion’s league.

“We want to keep this tradition of not losing……

“We have always played against good teams over here and last season we were a little lucky in Marseille when we scored in the last minute.”

Wenger will have his team prepared to face a hostile reception from the home fans after the Montpellier manager Rene Girard called on them to make the stadium like hell for the visitors.

“Montpellier are a team who plays in a tough, Mediterranean style but they can also control a game pretty well.

“The atmosphere will be Mediterranean too, that means very excited and enthusiastic.”

Montpellier are experiencing the champion’s league for the first time tonight so Wenger knows that the players will be up for it and will give everything. He has declared that he has full confidence in his assistant, Steve Bould, to cope with any problems during the match. Wenger will be in the stands for the first of three games after being banned by UEFA because of his complaints during last season’s match with Milan.