Arsenal debate – Will Walcott be worth all the trouble?

Theo Walcott’s Contract Situation Sorted

Arsenal have confirmed that Theo Walcott has agreed a new contract with the club. The contract is understood to be 3 and a half year deal on £95,000 a week with various signing on bonuses that will make him the clubs highest played player.

Walcott has now followed in the footsteps of agreeing a new contact with Arsenal, like Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey, Carl Jenkinson, Alex Oxlade – Chamberlain and Kieran Gibbs. The quintet has all committed to the club and Wenger believes we could see the future Arsenal team be built around the strong British core.

A few weeks ago Wenger said Walcott has made major improvements since his arrival from Southampton back in 2006. Wenger said;

“The quality of his runs off the ball and the quality of his finishing is where he has progressed the most,”

“If you compare Theo today with three years ago, he is a different animal. Today he finishes in a calm way and very accurately. And he can improve. He’s 23 years old, that’s usually when players start their career. For a striker, he’s coming into the best age now.”

While Wenger told Arsenal.com today;
“We are all delighted that Theo has signed a new contract. He joined us as a 16-year-old and since then has developed very well to become an extremely important player for both Arsenal Football Club and England.”

“Theo is a strong player and also a great person, and the combination of his ability and pace always make him such a valuable asset either from the flanks or down the middle. Theo’s contract extension now gives us a strong nucleus of ambitious young players who have committed to the Club and want to be successful with us as a group.”

On signing a new contract Theo said: “I am very happy to have signed a new contract here at Arsenal. Thanks to everyone for their continued support, especially the manager, everyone at the club and most importantly the fans. I have made it clear from the start that I wanted to stay at Arsenal so I am pleased we have agreed a deal that everyone is happy with. What’s important now is for the team to realise its potential and win trophies.”

Walcott rejected a five year deal at the start of the season when he was offered £75,000 after making his intentions clear he wanted to be on £100,000 along with the other regular England internationals.

It’s good to know the situation has finally been sorted out as Walcott was edging ever closer to a free agent status. The situation has now been resolved and he won’t be following in the footsteps of Nasri and Van Persie in their final years.

Will Walcott prove to be worth all the trouble?